Thursday, November 20, 2008

…The Countrypolitan Designer


I haven’t always been a country girl…I grew up and lived most of my life in large metropolitan areas…Houston, Dallas, LA. In fact, I love the city, but there is something very compelling about the country that makes it impossible to stay away for very long. Truth is though; I would never have had all the great opportunities and experiences, had I not been living in large metro areas.


But this part of my life is being lived out in a wonderful, old, turn of the century house on about six acres outside a small town know for their “Blue Bell” ice cream. I would say it is an old farm house, but the area I live in actually used to be a thriving little town. The house down the road used to be a mill, and the town doctor lived in my house. And even though it wasn’t a working farm, I'm sure it had all the self sustaining functions of a country home with a kitchen garden and a few animals.


Like most designers, my life has been a growing and changing experience that has shaped my design styles and philosophies. I truly love most all design styles, from classic to contemporary, as long as it is good design. But I have come to really love and respect the simplicity of “country” style…whether it is European, American, Latin, African, Oriental, etc. My own work will always reflect my suburban, urban and cosmopolitan roots, but it has evolved…and I have evolved…into the Countrypolitan Designer.




One of my illustrations from my earlier portfolio...you hardly ever see fashion illustrations anymore...it has become a dying art

One of my cover designs for the Horchow Collection...it looks very dated to me now, but at the time it was appropriately styled (it was even published in a book on entertaining). It was while I was working at Horchow that I decided to broaden my ambitions and go into interior design




This photo is from my current portfolio. This is the great room of the main house for a family compound ranch retreat. The antiques that I purchased for this project were mostly Spanish Colonial from Brazil and Spain.

Above is an earlier photo of a vignette from my own country house...which is always changing, as seen below

The country is lyric,--the town dramatic. When mingled, they make the most perfect musical drama. ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by...please take a moment to say hello...